News

Federal authorities announce an end to the immigration crackdown in Minnesota

Federal authorities announce an end to the immigration crackdown in Minnesota

White House border czar Tom Homan holds a news conference at the Bishop Whipple Federal building on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski) Photo: Associated Press


By STEVE KARNOWSKI Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The immigration crackdown in Minnesota that led to mass detentions, protests and two deaths is coming to an end, border czar Tom Homan said Thursday.
Democratic Gov. Tim Walz said Tuesday that he expected Operation Metro Surge, which started in December, to end in “days, not weeks and months,” based on his conversations with senior Trump administration officials.
“As a result of our efforts here, Minnesota is now less of a sanctuary state for criminals,” Homan said at a news conference.
“I have proposed and President Trump has concurred, that this surge operation conclude,” he continued.
Federal authorities say the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement sweeps focused on the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area have led to the arrest of more than 4,000 people. While the Trump administration has called those arrested “dangerous criminal illegal aliens,” many people with no criminal records, including children and U.S. citizens, have also been detained.
“The surge is leaving Minneapolis safer,” Homan said. . “I’ll say it again, it’s less of a sanctuary state for criminals.”
Homan announced last week that 700 federal officers would leave Minnesota immediately, but that still left more than 2,000 on Minnesota’s streets. Homan said Thursday that the drawdown began this week and will continue next week. He said he plans to stay in Minnesota to oversee the drawdown.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said he had a “positive meeting” with Homan on Monday and discussed the potential for a further drawdown of federal officers.
Homan took over the Minnesota operation in late January after the second fatal shooting by federal immigration agents and amid growing political backlash and questions about how the operation was being run.
“We’re very much in a trust but verify mode,” Walz said, adding that he expected to hear more from the administration “in the next day or so” about the future of what he said has been an “occupation” and a “retribution campaign” against the state.
Walz said he had no reason not to believe Homan’s statement last week that 700 federal officers would leave Minnesota immediately, but the governor added that that still left 2,300 on Minnesota’s streets. Homan at the time cited an “increase in unprecedented collaboration” resulting in the need for fewer federal officers in Minnesota, including help from jails that hold deportable inmates.

Recent Headlines

1 hour ago in Entertainment

Logan Paul’s Pikachu Illustrator Pokémon card sells for record $16.5M at auction

Fresh

Logan Paul has set a new world's record — for the auction price of a trading card. The wrestling and social media star's rare Pickachu Illustrator Pokémon card, a "Holy Grail" for collectors, sold for $16.5 million Monday at Goldin Auctions after 41 days of bidding.

2 hours ago in Entertainment

Actor Shia LaBeouf arrested after alleged fight during Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Fresh

Actor Shia LaBeouf has been arrested after being accused of hitting two men early Tuesday morning during Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans, police said. LaBeouf was charged with two counts of simple battery, New Orleans police said in a statement.

2 hours ago in Entertainment

Late-night host Stephen Colbert isn’t backing down from public dispute with CBS bosses

Fresh

Stephen Colbert isn't backing down in an extraordinary public dispute with his bosses at CBS over what he can air on his late-night talk show.

2 hours ago in Entertainment, Music

A rare Paul McCartney and Wings trove heads to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this summer

Fresh

A collection of Paul McCartney instruments, outfits, handwritten lyrics, unseen photos and tour memorabilia will be part of an exhibit at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this summer, billed as the first major museum show to feature McCartney and Wings.

2 hours ago in Olympics, Sports, Trending

US star Mikaela Shiffrin wins slalom to break 8-year Olympic drought

Fresh

Mikaela Shiffrin's turbulent, 12-year Olympic journey came full circle Wednesday when she won the slalom by a massive 1.50 seconds to break her long medal drought at the Winter Games.